This quick and easy low-fat pasta recipe features Mediterranean flavors. It is satisfying without adding extra calories, from oil. Artichokes, grape tomatoes and fresh basil ensure there is plenty of flavor.
Lowfat Mediterranean Penne Recipe
Ingredients (quantities are per serving):
3/4 cup dry penne
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. flour
3/4 cup quartered canned artichokes
6 grape tomatoes (cut in half)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp powdered chicken bouillion
6-8 large basil leaves (chopped)
3-4 slices of low sodium deli chicken (if you have leftover cooked chicken a handful diced will do nicely)
- Boil the penne to the al dente stage.
- While pasta is cooking, whisk flour into the 1/3 cup water.
- On med-high heat mix garlic, boullion and the flour/water.
- Once it has started to thicken add the remaining ingredients.
- Make sure all ingredients are heated through, but the goal is not to actually “cook” them.
- Fold in pasta.
- Serve Low-Fat Mediterranean Penne, with a little grated or shaved parmesean cheese.