I have been making a spicy chicken and pepper dish somewhat similar to this for some time now, but used a lot of oil and butter in it. I am currently trying to prepare most of our meals in a more healthful way, so I used some canned tomato sauce ((just basic Hunt’s) as a sauce base instead this time. The results tasted good, and I often served the old recipe with a side of pasta with red sauce, so the flavors are pretty much the same… saved a bunch of calories though.
Five Pepper Chicken Recipe
1 1/2-2 lbs. of chicken breasts (cut into strips)
28 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 of a large sweet onion sliced root to stem (about a cup)
1 cup quick pickled peppers
3 tbs. paprika
2 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. crushed red pepper (jarred)
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 tbs olive oil
- Put oil in skillet or dutch oven on med-high heat.
- Add onions, lightly saute, then add chicken.
- Once onions are starting to caramelize, and outside of chicken is cooked, add the tomato sauce, and stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn down to simmer.
- Simmer covered for an 1 1/2.
Serve over jasmine rice or pasta.