A very easy pineapple chicken stir fry recipe. The trick to the pineapple sauce is the use of pineapple preserves. The preserves not only omit the need for other sweeteners, but as the sauce reduces helps to thicken it into a glaze, which nicely coats the chicken and broccoli. To further enhance the gentle sweetness of the dish, the sweet onions are nearly carmelized. Broccoli sops up the sauce and peanuts add a fun crunch and nutty element on top of the sesame oil.
Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
Stir Fry Ingredients:
tbs. of oil (canola or vegetable)
3/4 – 1 lb. chicken (cut for stir fry)
1/2 large sweet onion (diced)
2 cups steamed broccoli florets
1/2 cup peanuts (cocktail or lightly salted)
Pineapple Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cup pineapple preserves
2 tbs. low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sriracha sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Directions for Pineapple Glazed Chicken Stir Fry:
- Put wok or skillet on med-high heat with a tbs. of oil, while assembling ingredients.
- Stir fry the sweet onion for approx a minute, add the chicken. Stir fry until chicken is cooked through.
- Empty the chicken and onions from the stir fry pan, into a large bowl.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together, and pour into stir fry pan.
- Bring glaze to a rolling boil, stirring frequently, until glaze is consistency of maple syrup
- Add steamed broccoli and peanuts to the bowl with the chicken.
- Once glaze seems to have thickened sufficiently to coat the stir fry, dump the bowl with the chicken and vegetable mixture into the hot glaze sauce.
- Mix thoroughly to coat.
- Serve the pineapple chicken stir fry over steamed rice or noodles.
Beware this dish is sure to go fast, you might want to make a double batch. Since the dish is semi-sweet, it goes well with fruity cocktails or ice tea, although a light fruity white wine would do well with it, as well.